Phew! It's done! 46 pieces of fabric cut and sewn, add some zippers, rings, magnetic snaps,purse feet, rivets and a whole lot of time - end result:
That front pocket there is a removable clutch. Initially I spent a lot of time pondering how to achieve this. In the end it was a simple solution - Just added D rings to the piece that attaches to the bag straps. The clutch has clasps that hook onto the D rings..
The front and back have zippered pockets and the back has a large pocket with a magnetic snap. Each side has a zippered pocket above an open pocket. I was debating whether to do the trim on the pockets. Glad I did, it adds a nice detail.
The top has a zipper attached only the the long sides with a "tail" so the bag opens wide. I will be doing a tutorial on how to do the zipper top in a few days. It was another thing I was contemplating for a while. I knew what I wanted to achieve but wasn't sure on how to execute it. Once I figured out how I still wasn't sure if I should try it as I was afraid I would have trouble sewing it to the faux leather collar. Decided to just go for it and it worked out.. (Thank goodness as this is a gift!)
Inside has a zipper compartment that divides the bag, and open pockets on either side. Not so exciting but functional.
The lining was easier to complete. But let me tell you how anxious I was about putting the lining and exterior together. The exterior has the faux leather collar that the lining would be attached to and I was concerned I would have trouble sewing. It wasn't easy to do as the bag was big and the weight of it would pull the bag down as I sewed. You can see some tension problems in the stitching if you look closely, but it could have much worse.
So that's it. Very happy with how it turned out. Of course there are things to approve on. I think it's a bit on the big side, so if I were to do it again I'd make it smaller.. And I'd get an industrial machine to sew threw that vinyl and layers!